15 September 2011

So with Halloween around the corner, I've literally spent every free moment brainstorming costume ideas. Yes, I am aware it is a month an a half away but to me that is right around the corner. I prefer to make my own costumes so I need the prep time.

No hints as to what I am being (or going to attempt to be) this year, but the prep starts NOW! So pumped, you all have no idea. I love Halloween and dressing up and wearing things I've always wanted to wear but it's not socially acceptable. i.e. Wearing a tutu last year since I was a ballerina or dressing up like a dinosaur.

 So like I said last year I was a ballerina one night. I made my own tutu, wore my ballet slippers from elementary school ballet, bought cheap-o tights from the drugstore and wore a black tank top. Such a cheap costume! To make the tutu I bought a few yards of light pink and hot pink tulle and cut them into strips. Then I just knotted them around a ribbon. The more tulle I used, the fluffier/more perfect it got! I seriously love the way it turned out so much I am trying to think of costumes that revolve around a tutu. So much fun.


As for the other night I went out... yes.. I was a dinosaur. Okay let me back up, so for those of you that don't know me that well, I love dinosaurs. Not afraid to admit it. Growing up I had dinosaur figurines, knew different types of dinosaurs, and just generally think they're pretty darn awesome. After a making fun of my friend's failed Thriller dance attempt and calling him a dinosaur, my obsession with dinosaurs resurfaced. We kept joking that we were going to be dinosaurs for Halloween, except I was completely serious about it. However, how does one even make a dinosaur costume? No idea. Luckily for me I happened to be home one weekend going thrifting (surprise surprise) and stumbled upon this homemade child's dinosaur costume for $7. Since I am basically a midget, it fit me and I found my best costume in years. (It's a shame you can't see the pieces over my feet that made it look like I had huge claws). The only additions/alterations I made was to buy green fabric to make a stomach and cutting the arms so I didn't lose circulation. Voila! I am a dinosaur. (Not Yoshi or a lizard that you very much.)

Now for a few throwback halloween moments that I just happen to have on my computer for all your enjoyment..


(Sorry for not rotating it.. Not too sure how to do that.) Preschool. I was a princess. I had a boy haircut.

Sophomore year in college. Tom Cruise form Risky Business. (With Lil' Wayne. Crazy that HE came to my party, right?) Easiest costume ever.


I made my boyfriend in high school dress up as Peter Pan to my tinkerbell, senior year. 

Freshman year in college.. Not sure what to label this as.. Jazzercise? I just threw together a bunch of things mainly cause I wanted to wear blue spandex pants really bad.

I wish I had some pictures of my costumes from elementary school and middle school but alas I am at school and don't have access to old photo albums. I'll leave the costumes to your imagination but I've been... Madonna in the 80's, a superhero, butterfly, Miss America, a tiger, a 50's girl, pink power ranger, baby, Grim Reaper (I was too scared to wear this to school since all the boys are always the grim reaper so I was a baby for school but grim reaper trick or treating.. but the mask got too hot so I basically wore a black robe..), a hippie, and a few others that I am forgetting about.

Hope everyone's getting their costume ideas together and if you need any inspiration, use pinterest.com that's where I got mine for this year.. hint hint.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment