16 December 2011

It's the Little Things


Sometimes I feel like the little things in life can be overlooked and ultimately I think those are the best things in life. They make each day more enjoyable and add variety to life, so I’ve compiled a list of little things that I enjoy that maybe are overlooked too often.

Belly-aching laughter
I’m not talking about a normal laugh. Not the kind that happens when you watch your favorite Will Ferrell movie. Or the kind that happens when you watch a comedian do some stand-up. No. I’m talking about much more than that. I’m talking about the kind of laughter that you have absolutely no control over. The kind that maybe starts out on the level of pretty standard controllable laughter. But it escalates. Oh, does it escalate. It escalates to the point where tears well up in your eyes and pour down your face, bringing all your mascara with it. It reaches the point where you are snorting, wheezing, probably not even making any noise because you are shaking so hard with uncontrollable laughter. The kind that happens when you feel like there is no stopping it and that you must give into the laughter and let it succumb you in its entirety. The kind that works your abdominal muscles more than a 30-minute abdominal workout does. The kind that leaves you feeling completely exhausted but totally amused, entertained, and fulfilled. That kind of belly-aching laughter. 


Doing a good deed
One of the best feelings in the world is doing a selfless act. Whether it’s giving a dollar to a homeless man, returning a lost wallet, or even just treating a friend to a meal. It makes you feel like you, one person, can make a difference in someone’s life. Maybe you just made them smile, or maybe you changed their terrible day into a good one, or maybe you even saved their life. Doing something without expecting anything in return is some of the deepest, most gratifying things that anyone could possibly imagine.


Peeling off nail polish in one piece
Every girl out there that has painted her nails knows exactly what I am talking about. Sure, maybe they look pretty for a day or even a week if you’re lucky and used a clear top coat. But eventually you will get that first small chip. And that first small chip means one thing. Time to chip off the nail polish. Now maybe you are bored at work, or sitting in a large lecture hall, or maybe you’re just watching TV one night. But it’s bound to happen. The worst is trying to chip and only getting small bits. Not only is it unfulfilling, it takes forever and makes a mess with little nail polish bits flying everywhere. Even in your eye if you’re especially unlucky. But lo and behold. You pulled off an entire nail of polish in one piece. One whole piece. At the time there can be no bigger or greater accomplish for those few precious seconds of peeling it off. You peel so slowly and cautiously and bam. You did it. Awesome. 



A hug
Hugs are underrated. I mean kisses are great, don’t get me wrong… but hugs… man, hugs are just fantastic. Feeling someone else wrapping their arms around you and just embracing you for a few short seconds (hopefully not longer cause then it could get to the creepy factor, which is no fun). So much comfort. So much kindness. So much love. 


 Feeling the sun on your back while wearing a black t-shirt while laying in a lush field of grass
Pretty self-explanatory.



Sexual innuendos
Now I may have the maturity of a 13-year-old boy at times; I’ll admit it. But hey, it makes life so much more enjoyable and can even induce bellyaching laughter if done properly. I will never tire of ball jokes, “That’s what she/he said”, or trying to misconstrue serious statements into inappropriate comments. Nothing gives me greater pleasure or entertainment than pointing out how something sounds sexual or cracking a joke myself, even if I’m the only one laughing.


 Singing while driving
I cannot sing. I mean I can sing, everyone can, but in no way shape or form can I remotely carry a tune. Which is why I absolutely adore singing while I am driving. I get some of my best singing done on the road. Since no one is there to criticize or judge my off-key tunes, I am convinced I can hit Mariah’s high notes and keep up with Celine. I harmonize with Taylor while we get emotional about relationships ending and the feeling of heartbreak. I rap with Luda and Nikki and don’t miss a beat. Sure, realistically, I probably can’t do any of these things and people next to me at red lights can probably still hear me even though my windows are up (yes I can get into it), but I like to think I can and they can’t.  It taps into the 6th grade me who for some reason told the yearbook that I wanted to be a singer when I grew up. Just for those few miles I am doing just that. 


 Warm socks
If you have ever had cold feet, you can really appreciate the absolute joy of warm socks. Warm, thick, fuzzy socks that are sold in hiking and outdoors stores that are made for 30 degree and below weather. They are absolutely heavenly, no other words. They are a personal fleece blanket for your feet. 


 Scars
Now maybe I’m just thinking of scars because I will probably get another knee surgery over my winter break, but scars are pretty great. Sure, initially you may not like them and find them ugly. But I think scars are one of those amazing things that may seem ugly but are really beautiful. They make a person unique and tell a story. I can tell you that the wrinkly scar on my right knee is from my childhood when I was racing on a scooter and wiped out and scraped my knee open. Or a scar on my left hand is from 7th grade when a friend was dragging me through American Eagle and my hand whipped around and hit a table. The huge scar on my left knee is from my ACL surgery and reminds me of how far I’ve come since then. All scars tell stories and are beautiful if you actually think about it. Plus Harry Potter has one and he’s pretty cool, right? 

 
Chapstick*
If you’ve ever had chapped lips, you know the power of chapstick. That smooth lip balm that provides instant relief to your dry, cracking, thirsty lips. Nothing more immediately gratifying.

Being in an awkward situation and having no one to share it with and laughing by yourself*
Story of my life. Maybe you tripped in front of a group of people and they all turned and laughed. Or smacked a stranger’s ass because you thought it was a friend, only to be very very mistaken. Whatever the case, it’s hilarious. And while you may yearn to share it with someone that can find the situation as hysterical as you, it’s kinda awesome that you share this hilarious moment with yourself.

Good Smells
Imagine a life without good smells. Can’t do it right? Most people probably underestimate the awesomeness of good smells. Walking into your house back home and smelling the cinnamon of an apple pie right around Thanksgiving. Waking up and the scent of your Christmas tree instantly hitting your nostrils. The aroma of coffee helping you most just a little bit faster in the mornings. Good smells mean good memories. 


*pictures not included because who wants a picture of chapped lips? And if an awkward situation happens to you alone, there wouldn't be any pictures.


XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment